Re: how to set up headless machine?

Of course the machine's own ROMs determine if it can even boot without
a keyboard (that is not AFAIK not a Linux issue).  Given that you can
boot without a keyboard, then all you have to do is set up to run a
'getty' type daemon on the serial port.

Amiga computers (m68k) for example will boot without keyboard or monitor
(or mouse) connected without problem.  There are several that I run
that way all of the time (configured with Debian Linux or even SVR4).
Though in my case, I am login in via ethernet but the principal is the
same and indeed there are some advantages to getty over ethernet (though
speed is NOT one of them).

On Tue, May 05, 1998 at 03:17:07PM -0700, Stuart Marshall wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need to set up a debian/linux PC for use without a
> keyboard or monitor.  The "frozen" distribution is already
> installed and it has an ethernet connection.  Ages ago
> I saw info on running a "serial console" and I was hoping to
> do that.  I have a second machine which has a spare serial
> port.  I have searched the FAQs and HOWTO's in /usr/doc but
> I can't find any references for doing this.  Can someone
> point the way to the docs for headless machines.
>
> thanks very much,
> Stuart
>

> --

best,
-bill
                bleach@BellSouth.net
           b.leach@usa.net  LinuxPC@Hotmail.com
from a 1996 Micro$loth ad campaign:
"The less you know about computers the more you want Micro$oft!"
         See!  They do get some things right!