how to set up headless machine?

Hi,

I need to set up a debian/linux PC for use without a
keyboard or monitor.  The "frozen" distribution is already
installed and it has an ethernet connection.  Ages ago
I saw info on running a "serial console" and I was hoping to
do that.  I have a second machine which has a spare serial
port.  I have searched the FAQs and HOWTO's in /usr/doc but
I can't find any references for doing this.  Can someone
point the way to the docs for headless machines.

thanks very much,
Stuart