Re: How to build Debian Linux cluster?

> Interesting. In the CS department at my university, they have decided
> to move towards xterms instead, since they have lower cost of ownership.
> Most PCs are just terminals now anyway -- we have Citrix WinFrame
> which allows Windows work from any terminal. Some of the better PCs
> have NT 4.0 on the desktops, too.

Six months ago when we bought our cluster we could get a 233 Mhz Pentium II
with 32 Mb of memory, 4 Gb hard drive, etc., etc. (basically a top-of-the-
line computer of the day) for about $2100 each.  With monitor.  HDS X-terms
were running just over $2000 each.  And the X-terms have a nasty habit of
crashing when a lot of memory is used... say when one is browsing the web.
I've not noticed the Debian boxes doing that.  For $100 we decided having
computing power available to run Condor and the like, and having something
that wouldn't crash when our tutorials were viewed using Netscrape, and
not loading down the mainframes, and...

We though it was a deal.  I still think so.

Ken