Re: Problem with ppp-2.3.3-5 and authentication

Well Art don't feel too silly, what you said is essentially correct (except
for the chatscript stuff of course).

The ppp protocol does not itself have a 'host/user' concept, it is a peer to
peer protocol.  In practice there typically are differences when PAP or CHAP
are involved but again the difference is in the practice and not in the
protocol.

'Hosts', in practice, do not normally authenticate themselves _to_ the
dial-in machine.

My question would be, if Mr. Whitwell's machine is using PAP, are the
entries in the ppp/pap-secrets file correct?  AFAIK for the PAP
authentication to work (I don't use PAP but have used CHAP), the
Username, password, and IP address (or address range) have to match.

If the user's machine is also setup to expect PAP authorization then
he must also have a second line for that 'secrets pair' or tell the user
to disable requiring authorization.

On Mon, May 04, 1998 at 11:59:57PM -0500, Art Lemasters wrote:

>      Mr. Whitwell just informed me that he is looking for an
> answer from the *host* point of view, so one of you old-timers
> will need to help him with it...sorry, I should have noticed
> the "mgetty" reference.  Sheesh, do I feel embarrassed! <:-)
>
> > /silly/Art
>

> > Dear All,
> >
> > I've only just joined this list, so I don't know if this has been
> > discussed before.  I'm using ppp-2.3.3-5 and mgetty-1.1.14-1 to run a
> > one-modem dialup.  Everything works just fine until pppd goes to verify
> > the username/password, which always fails with "PAP authentication
> > failure for <username>".  I've verified the username/password and they're
> > valid.  Can someone give me some pointers on where to look next or what
> > the problem might be?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >

> > --

best,
-bill
                bleach@BellSouth.net
           b.leach@usa.net  LinuxPC@Hotmail.com
from a 1996 Micro$loth ad campaign:
"The less you know about computers the more you want Micro$oft!"
         See!  They do get some things right!