Re: need help setting up non-ps printer

On Sun, 03 May 1998 13:11:31 -0600, Jack Varga <jvarga@frisco.net>
wrote:

>I have an Epson Stylus Color 600 and would
>like to add it as an lp device.  How do I do
>that?

Well, this is all I had to do to get it working.  Be warned that
gs-aladdin is not "free software" in the true sense of the phrase,
unlike gs, but it is freely available.  I think that it's in
"non-free" on the Debian FTP sites.

Download and install a version of gs-aladdin >=5.0.  Newest is
something like 5.10.

Now, create a file called "/usr/local/sbin/es600-720" with the
following contents:

------- start --------
#!/bin/bash
#
# 720 dpi filter for the Epson Stylus Color 600

gs -q @stc600p.upp -sOutputFile=- -
------- finish --------

And a file called "/usr/local/sbin/es600-360" with this:

------- start --------
#!/bin/bash
#
# 360 dpi filter for the Epson Stylus Color 600

gs -q @stc600pl.upp -sOutputFile=- -
------- finish --------

Now, change "/etc/printcap" to something like this

------- start --------
lp360|Epson Stylus Color 600 - 360dpi:\
        :lp=/dev/lp1:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/es600:\
        :sh:pw#80:pl#66:px#1440:mx#0:\
        :af=/var/log/lp-acct:lf=/var/log/lp-errs:\
        :if=/usr/local/sbin/es600-360:

lp|lp720|Epson Stylus Color 600 - 720dpi:\
        :lp=/dev/lp1:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/es600:\
        :sh:pw#80:pl#66:px#1440:mx#0:\
        :af=/var/log/lp-acct:lf=/var/log/lp-errs:\
        :if=/usr/local/sbin/es600-720:
------- finish --------

The important points in this file are the "if=" which is a link to the
file you just created (the input filter), and "sd=" which is a link to
the spool directory for that printer.  Change that to wherever your
spool directory is.  Basically, you are piping all input to that
printer through gs-aladdin as a filter, and then stuffing it in the
spool directory.

Note that *two* printers have been set up here, with the names "lp360"
and "lp720".  "lp" is an alias for lp720, making it the default
printer.  If you don't think you need both resolutions, then simply
remove one of the definitions.

And that should be it, assuming you have lpd set up okay.  Use the
"-P" switch of lpr to select which printer to use.  I'm no expert at
Linux, so apologies if any of this doesn't work for you.

Good luck.  :-)

Rob Wilderspin.
--
"But I need it to crash once every few days -
reboots are the only chance I get to sleep..."