Help: Thinkpad won't accept boot prompts

Can anyone help with this:

I have had linux running on my IBM thinkpad 340, but then managed to delete
files that were obviously important...

So to cut the story short, i am attempting to reinstall.
When I give the boot command 'floppy=thinkpad' to the boot prompt however, I
get a 'floppy=t.hin image not found ' (or something similar).

Basically, my boot commands are apparently not being read correctly (it seems
to garble them).

Any ideas?

Thanks

Rob.

Rob EWING
Information Genetique & Structurale (CNRS-EP. 91),
31, Chemin Joseph Aiguier,
13402 Marseille Cedex 20, FRANCE.
Tel: +33 (0)4 91 16 46 03
Fax: +33 (0)4 91 16 45 49