Re: Diety / Apt Questions.

On Sat, 2 May 1998 hospedales@wow.net wrote:

> Ok cool! One more thing though; is the APT GUI going to be X based?
> Normally when i'm installing stuff, I su to root in an Xterm and use apt or
> dpkg. But if the APT GUI will be X based, and I do that, won't the X-serve
> reject the connection?

apt will (does) have both X and slang (console) interfaces.  There are
ways to solve the problem with running root stuff under X (sudo, or
actually importing the magic cookie correctly).

The apt gui was removed from the apt package since it doesn't contain any
more functionality than just looking pretty, and forced apt to depend on
too many other packages.  This will, of course, change as we finish
binding apt-get to apt.

--
Scott K. Ellis <storm@gate.net>                 http://www.gate.net/~storm/