Re: laptop install help

In addition to the pcmcia-cs package you also need the pcmcia-modules-2.0.?? .deb
package which matches your kernel version. 'uname --release' will tell you which
one you've got. You'll have to ftp this package from the debian archive, put in on
a floppy, then install it on your laptop with 'dpkg --install pcmcia-.....deb'.
Reboot and hopefully your pcmcia hardware isn't too new for the version of pcmcia
support debian provides in the stable release. You should see messages when your
laptop boots telling you that the pcmcia card manager found and identified a
serial port (your modem). It will also tell you which device it's assigned as. If
it says 'tty02' then the correct modem device for you is /dev/ttyS2. Try this and
let us know.

Michael Stutz wrote:

> > >I've got a Megahertz PCMCIA 14.4 fax/modem card that was recognized as com2
> > >by the win311 software that came with the laptop. There were no cua?
> > >devices in /dev so I made cua0 and cua1 using the MAKEDEV script, made a
> > >/dev/modem symlink from cua1, but the "pon" command still dies on me.
> >
> > >I copied minicom off another machine and tried it, and haven't gotten it to
> > >recognize the modem, so I figure there must be something else to it - do I
> > >also have to install some PCMCIA software, maybe a module?
> >
> > PCMCIA comes in the form of a module. It's generally best to get the source
> > package and use that to recompile and install them whenever you recomile a
> > kernel. The easiest way to get it set up to begin with is to use the hamm
> > install disks and install the pcmcia modules as you install debian.
> > Otherwise, you'll need to put them on a floppy and copy them over and
> > install them. They're in teh pcmcia-cs package.
>
> Ok, I did this, but now at boot time it complains that it can't find any
> modules in /lib/modules/2.0.32/pcmcia/ (and its right, that directory
> doesn't exist). I seem to be missing something -- loaded up the rescue disk
> again and did not find any module option for pcmcia devices.
>
> --

Jens B. Jorgensen
jjorgens@bdsinc.com