Re: pcmcia install help

On 21 Apr 1998, Mike Miller wrote:

>     > I'm ready to conclude that you cannot install Debian on a
>     > laptop that uses a pcmcia modem as its primary interface to
>     > the world. I would really love it if somebody proved me
>     > wrong.
>
>     > There is also the question of whether or not it will work
>     > on this kernel, which is 2.0.32. So I went to
>     > www.debian.org and downloaded
>     > pcmcia-modules-2.0.32_3.0.0-5k5.deb.
>
> How did you get a 2.0.32 kernel while installing Debian 1.3.1?

By using the disks that were under "current", or 1997-10-13. I just
reinstalled the system using new disks I made from the 1997-08-01 directory,
and now have a 2.0.29 kernel installed.

I then attempted to install pcmcia-modules-2.0.29_2.9.5-2.deb, but it
requires pcmcia-cd_2.9.5x.deb, and not the pcmcia-cs_2.9.6-2.deb that's on
my cd or the pcmcia-cs_2.9.6-2.deb that's currently available from the
debian archives.

Where do old packages go when they die? Is there a place where I can get
this older pcmcia-cs_2.9.5.x.deb file?

Browsing the package directories off www.debian.org, I couldn't find it, and
the "search package directories" cgi appears to be broken (as of late last
night, it returns a directory listing instead of a list of packages).

Further weirdness: during my reinstall process, I rebooted the machine and
was then brought to the prompt where you enter a password for the root user.
Then I was caught in an infinite loop -- I'd add a password, confirm it, and
then it started this all over again, asking me to pick a password for the
root account! So I rebooted, and now all reboots end with you being dumped
into a root shell. This does not look good.