Re: HELP - Host/IP mismatch causing mail denial

On Thu, Apr 30, 1998 at 08:09:51PM -0400, Colin Telmer wrote:
> I have recently discovered that some mail being sent to my machine is
> being denied by smtpd due to a host/ip mismatch. I value the security but
> need to know this is happening. I have missed some very important mail
> today because of it (don't know why I decided to check /var/log/daemon.log
> just now but I am glad I did). Anyway, I was going to set up a simple
> cronjob something like "grep deny /var/log/daemon.log" to let me know
> about these but I was wondering if there is a better way to do this. Can I
> get smail to somehow mail me immediately when this happens? Is ther
> another way? Any help is gratefully appreciated. Cheers, Colin.

Perhaps you would be better to disable this for mail; I run a corporate
server with Debian and don't find it particularly practical to leave this
check enabled -- I can't afford to not accept a customer's email just because
their ISP has not set up reverse DNS correctly.

To do that, change the line in /etc/hosts.deny which says

ALL: PARANOID

ALL except in.smtpd: PARANOID

Hamish