Re: Printing from windows

> I have never found magicfilter to interfere with this though. I have
> a PCL5 HP5L, and I print through samba to the same printer which I print
> to on linux with lpr, with magic filter -- no problem. From memory
> I did the same with my ESC2P bubblejet 20 before that.

The problem is that my win95 driver is putting out a non-standard pjl
file.  It's pjl stuff,  but with a couple hundred control-@ charactars at
the front.  I have NO IDEA what they're for -- if you delete them you get
a standard pjl file,  which magicfilter recognizes and which the printer
prints just fine.  It's enough to make you wonder if the printer doesn't
just ignore them -- maybe the win95 driver sticks them there exactly to
make it difficult for utilities like "file" to figure out what's in the
driver output...

Anyway,  I changed the "default" line in my magicfilter to "cat" rather
than "djscript" and it works fine now.  If someone can give me an idea
about how to write a filter that does nothing,  I'll do that ... I'd make
another printcap entry like this:

raw|winprint:\
	:lp=/dev/NULL:\
	:if=/usr/sbin/rawprint:

where /usr/sbin/rawprint just takes its input and cats it to /dev/lp1 ...
any ideas?  Remember that I can't cat anything to lp1 without killing lpd,
which is waiting on lp1 already,  but that if I try to do "lpr" within
rawprint,  it'll get passed through magicfilter,  which is the problem in
the first place...
                   					Will

|             harpo@udel.edu lowe@cis.udel.edu lowe@debian.org           |
|			http://www.cis.udel.edu/~lowe/		         |