Re: Quota on Mail systems

On Thu, 30 Apr 1998, Chris wrote:

> I don't think I'll hold my breath - but I will switch over to procmail to
> my MDA.  Can you give me any information on setting procmail up as the
> MDA?  Or is it fairly straight forward (ie. I should just read the
> sendmail man page)

I would not recommend this switchover.

If a user receives a mail which puts them over softquota, with ____ as a
local delivery agent:

1) deliver.  User would receive their mail and go over softquota but with
zero grace period.  If you ran a script like I do to notify users of being
overquota, they'd know about being overquota (as long as they didn't hit
"hard" quota) and be able to fix it.

2) procmail.  Incoming mail which puts the user overquota will fail the
final delivery stage (procmail notices the error of no quota/no grace
period) and bounce.  Unless your automatic "overquota" email is the only
thing small enough to get into their mailbox, they won't know that they're
overquota, and won't get their mail.  This is totally unreflective of hard
quota!!!!

Check out http://www.debian.org/Bugs/db/20/20879.html for more details on
this bug.