Re: Quota on Mail systems

On Thu, 30 Apr 1998, Chris wrote:

> This quota works fine and enforces the limit correctly when a user
> attempts to put any files in that filesystem via the shell - but when a
> user recieves mail it is placed into their mail file - regardless of their
> disk quota.  So affectively the mail system is quotaless.

Chris,

	It's actually a linux kernel bug crawling through your system at
this very moment.  Whatever program puts mail into mailboxes is doing so
as root and then chown's the mailbox back to the original owner.  This
process doesn't slam into quotas the way that it should, unless you're
lucky like me and are using procmail as your local delivery agent, in
which case users experienced bounced mail as soon as they go over
softquota.

	I believe a kernel bug is open regarding this, but I wouldn't hold
your breath about it.

--Pete