window manager lockups with latest X

The subject line says it quite well; here are some more
details.

Several weeks ago I was still running the 3.3.1-2 packages
(xbase, xfnt100, xfnt75, xfntbase, xfntpex, xlib6, xlib6g,
xlib6g-dev, and xserver-mach64) with the scwm window manager.
Once in a (long) while scwm would lock up and I would have
to restart X.

Then (several weeks ago) I upgraded to the 3.3.2-3 versions
of all the above packages.  Very soon I noticed that it took
only a matter of minutes and several switches between X and
a VT to lock up scwm.  What I mean by "lock up" is that the
mouse is unable to give any window focus; furthermore, scwm
has a very large virtual desktop, and in this locked up state
I am able to pan around an area only slightly larger than my
monitor screen.  Interestingly, though, a program running in
X will continue to run, even though I can't control it.

Downgrading the xserver-mach64 package to the old 3.3.1-2
version caused the problem to disappear.  Now I thought that
it might be a scwm bug, since then I have tried the new
xserver-mach64 with the wmaker window manager, and the very
same thing happens after a few minutes.  Sometimes with scwm
it is enough to switch out of X and then back _one_ time to
make it freeze as described above.

I am running the latest from hamm. Kernel is 2.1.98.  Just to
be sure it wasn't a kernel problem, I booted up on 2.1.32 and
started X.  It took several hours to lock up the first time,
and when I restarted X again, scwm locked up within minutes.

I really don't know where to go from here.  What can I do
to figure out where the problem is so I can use the new
xserver-mach64?  Has anyone else experienced this difficulty?

Thanks,

James