Re: text mode IDE?

On Tue, 28 Apr 1998, Dave Elliot wrote:

> I was wondering if there's a decent text mode IDE for debian/linux.
> Something similar to RHIDE or Borland's DOS IDE.  I would use
> something for X, but I can't get that working yet.  Hopefully someday.
> Anyways, anything would be great.  Thanks for the info.

> Peace,
> -dave

Dave

Emacs in all its glory is almost a text mode ide. Once you realize
that you can invoke the compile command directly, using Mx compile, you
get the default compile command make -k, which, if you have makefile or
Makefile will compile your program. Otherwise, use command line editing
commands ( C-a C-k to kill the line, and enter g++ [options] file.cc
or g++ file1.cc file2.cc ...

The editor will run the compiler in an inferior process, split the
screen into two, leave the source in one window, put the compile command
in the capture the error messages, if any, in the window with the
compile command. Then C-x ` (C-x backtick, the unshifted key with the
~ on it) will scroll both the code screen and the error messages so that
the place the compiler detected the error is centered in one window, the
error message corresponding is at the top of the compile window.

You can fix the error and repeat the C-x ` sequence until the error
messages become ones caused by the compiler attempting to fix earlier
errors.

You can run the debugger in text mode from eamcs as well.

I hope there is something that is better than this, but I think this is
really neat, for text mode, that is. (Actually, this is writted by an
avowed text-mode biggot.)

If you will use xemacs in X-window environment, you almost already have
an ide. Try it, you will like it.

--David