Updating /etc/modules (was Re: Wierd linux/debian problem)

On Tue, 28 Apr 1998, Ossama Othman wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > Yes .. ne was in /etc/modules .. and so it tried to load it on
> > top of the kernel one ..
> >
> > Shouldnt make modules_install write over this file or something .. or
> > be made too ?? with the up to date modules to run.
>
> I don't believe it should.  There are times when I want a module available
> but don't necessarily want to load the module all the time.  Also, the
> "/etc/modules" file is a Debian creation.  Other distrbutions don't have a
> /etc/modules file, at least the last time I checked.  RedHat and Slackware
> seem to stick modules to load in some "rc.*" file, from what I recall.
>
> Changing "make module_install" to overwrite /etc/modules is a bad idea, I
> think.  I would prefer that the "make modules_install" behavior remain
> unaltered.
>
> My $0.02  :)
>
> -Ossama

Perhaps we could consider having "make moudles_install" disable (ie
comment out) any modules mentioned in /etc/modules that are not compiled
into the current kernel.  I would suggest that this shouldn't be done
automatically, but should instead prompt the user for the change.

Just a suggestion :)

Chris