Re: Error while trying to boot Debian

On Sun, 26 Apr 1998, Julian Easterling wrote:

> Excuse me for being such a newbie, and don't be to hard on me if this is really
> simple to fix.
>
> I am trying to install Debian and in the installation program it allows me to
> make the hard drive bootable and default to Linux.  This is the only OS on this
> box so this is what I want it to do.  Whenever I  reboot the computer though, I
> get what I think is an Error Message.  It prints "1FA:" where lilo is suppose to
> be.  I can press the enter key and it repeats itself.  Can anyone help?  I am
> using Debian 1.3.1 if that helps.

Thats just a prompt from a bootmanager.. (I think it is the mbr package..)

Typing 1 will try to boot from the first partition (I think)
F is the floppy drive, and A shows more options...

I think the key is to experiment... then when you can boot linux, make a
/etc/lilo.conf file and run lilo...

here is an example lilo.conf:  (Take the comments out :) )
=======================================
boot=/dev/hda          # To write to the HDD's MBR
install=/boot/boot.b
map=/boot/map
compact
delay=100              # set a delay that suits (in tenths of a sec.)
default=Linux          # Set a default boot image
image=/vmlinuz         # your kernel image
     label=Linux       # A label :)
     root=/dev/hda1    # your root partition
     read-only         # must be read-only

Good luck :)