Error while trying to boot Debian

Excuse me for being such a newbie, and don't be to hard on me if this is really
simple to fix.

I am trying to install Debian and in the installation program it allows me to
make the hard drive bootable and default to Linux.  This is the only OS on this
box so this is what I want it to do.  Whenever I  reboot the computer though, I
get what I think is an Error Message.  It prints "1FA:" where lilo is suppose to
be.  I can press the enter key and it repeats itself.  Can anyone help?  I am
using Debian 1.3.1 if that helps.

Julian Easterling
Lab Manager/Web Administrator
Coker College, Hartsville, SC USA