Re: apt: HTTP transfer method does not use available bandwidth

On Mon, 27 Apr 1998, Oliver Elphick wrote:

> [I originally thought this was a problem with apt, but it appears to be a
> problem with HTTP transfers in general, so I am putting it on the devel list.]

postgresql-devel? I've cc'd it debian-user :>

[ Oliver is experiancing substantial slowdown when using http compared
with ftp ]

> Recovering the same file, while apt is transferring data:
>
> 		unix.hensa.ac.uk		sunsite.doc.ic.ac.uk
> wget http:	1.97KB/s			1.90KB/s
> wget ftp:	5.19KB/s			5.42KB/s
> ftp:  		4.2 Kbytes/sec			4 Kbytes/sec
>
> (`wget URL' as opposed to `get file' inside an ftp session.)
>
> OK, so it's not apt, but http.

Yeah, and at two sites? That's crazy.

> Should running squid locally make a difference?  (I shut it down, but it
> doesn't
> seem to have changed anything.)  My ISP has a proxy-server, but you have to
> configure Netscape to use it, so presumably it is not transparent.

Only if you http_proxy set.. I suggest you talk to your ISP, ask them
about a transparent proxy and ask about why http would be so slower with
their service.

> Is there anything about the HTTP protocol which makes a difference if you are
> using
> a lower bandwidth?  For example, if I cannot accept stuff at the rate at which
> the other end can push it out, will the other end reduce its attempted output
> rate?

Nope, at the IP level there is no difference between HTTP and FTP, the
only explantaion that comes to mind is that your ISP is doing something to
your connections on port 80.

Jason