infocom botched installation

   I tried to install a couple of the infocom-type games from hamm
without luck.  The packages in question are xzip, gsn-jigsaw, and

   Dpkg gives me error messages that there is no "old pre-removal
script" and that the new package (there's been an update since I first
installed them) doesn't contain one either.  When I try to purge these
packages with dpkg, I get the error of "Package is in a very bad
inconsistent state - you should reinstall it before attempting a
removal."  Nice, but with the default dpkg options I can't reinstall

   In such a scenario, what is the safest/best method to uninstall
these packages?

 Regards,                |Debian GNU/__     o http://www.debian.org
 (redwards@together.net) |        /____/ /_/ /_/\/ /___/  /_/\_\