MCA Debian questions

This message was originally addressed to ADAVIS@NETPCI.COM
and a carbon copy was sent to you.

-> This is not a question of the mainstream debian distribution, but it
-> involves a MCA debian boot disk, so perhaps this is the best place to
-> go.  It's a good one, anyway.

-> I have just tested a debian boot disk off the MCA linux web site.  It
-> works on this machine---an IBM MOdel 65SX donated to our school by a
-> local company, that has a scsi drive and an IBM SCSI controller.  I
-> had to use the boot
-> parameter:

->                 linux ibmmcascsi=7

-> Now I am trying to install, and suddenly I realize that this isn't
-> going to
-> work: this disk is about a year and a half old.  So my questions:

I installed an MCA debian system last December.  MCA kernels are
supported in the 2.1.xx series of kernels.  You can use them, but some
suffer from instability problems.  They are experimental.  If you
replace the debian kernel in the installation process with an MCA
kernel, the installation should work.  You should have the appropriate
device drivers in your MCA kernel.  If you have compiled kernels before,
there is usefull information in /usr/src/kernel/Documentation on making
kernels with ramdisks.  In the debian installation process, ramdisks are
used for the root file system.  Examining a debian installation boot disk
with various tools would help you.  You want to find out if the whole
disk contains the kernel image or if a root file system is written after
the kernel.  If you compile an MCA kernel with a ramdisks and set it up
to read the ramdisk root files system from a floppy, it might work.  It
would read the debian installation, root file system.

            Donald Harter Jr.

P.S. Klaus Kudielka also has MCA kernels.

CC: debian-user@lists.debian.org