Re: A funny little mistake

On Sun, 26 Apr 1998, The Thought Assassin wrote:

> On Sun, 26 Apr 1998, Thomas J. Malloy wrote:
> >   " mv thefile.tar.gz  /~ ".  Now I have a 800k file named ~ on / .  I
> > tried to  "mv ~  normalfilename" and this does create a normal file, but
> > the ~ file still exists.  If I try  to "rm ~ "  the system thinks I want
> > to delete my home directory.
>
> prefacing the '~' with a backslash ('\') ought to do the trick.
> the backslash is the shell's delimiting character, and the shell will not
> try to expand anything directly after a backslash.
> so mv \~ newname

This is the best thing to try first - although I have seen some things
that even this won't work on.  If you do get stuck you can try rm -i *.
This will try to delete EVERYTHING in the directory - but prompt for each
one, so you can say no to everything but the ~ file.  (Alternately you
could move everything else out of the directory first).

Chris