Linux cannot find NE-2000 network card

Thanks to Ossama's and Gilbert's advice, I could fix my
problem by adding a line consisting of the string 3c509 to
the /etc/modules file.

Apparently the install program never wrote this string
into the file because I had failed to install a network card
altogether when I originally built the base system. I missed
this step because the menu did not ask me to do it because
it did not auto-detect a network card.  When I discovered
after my first boot-up that the network connection was
missing I went back to the install menu, but did not
re-initialize my partitions but mounted the already existing
partitions, and then initialized the network device.  Since
it never asked me to re-build the base system I never did.
I had the hardest time reading the floppies and did not want
to go through this again.  Apparently the install program
did not discover the inconsistency between the modules I had
currently declared and the modules present in the somewhat
older /etc/modules file.  Is this a bug, or am I asking too
much of the install program?

Thank you for your help,

Hans.