Re: Linux cannot find NE-2000 network card

Hi Hans,

> Thanks for the quick response, Ossama.

No problem. :)

> but I haven't found any files with any of the information
> about the network card specified during installation.
> Where should it be?

I'm not sure what you mean so I'll try to answer several questions:

- If you mean during installation of Debian then check /etc/modules to see
what modules get loaded at boot.  If you installed a 3c509 card then your
/etc/modules file should have 3c509 in it.  The actual module itself is
located in /lib/modules/2.0.(your kernel revision)/net.

- To see what card was installed as eth0 during boot check your syslog
file in /var/log or just run dmesg.  dmesg will tell you what is in the
"kernel ring buffer," and should contain information similar to that found
in your syslog file.

-- One last thing you might want to try or check is your ethernet cable.
I recently had "unreachable network" errors due to a bad cable.

Sorry if these aren't the answers to the question.  I forget what your
original problem was since I cleaned out my mail directory today.  :(

If I didn't answer your question then please let me know and I will gladly
try to answer it.

-Ossama