Re: Fonts in X [Off Topic]

On Wed, 22 Apr 1998, Stephen Carpenter wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Apr 1998, Luiz Otavio L. Zorzella wrote:

> > Yeah! Is there a good reason why xffst is not started in /etc/rc.boot
> > (or something)?

> I can think of a reason or two...no not really...
> there is a problem with trying to stop it (without using
> kill-all) and you can't sync it whjile it runs...
> other than that...no
> I think it should be started on startup

start-stop-daemon uses a pid-file that stores the PID of the running
daemon so it knows which program to stop later. And 'xfstt --sync' causes
xfstt to sync with the fonts in /var/ttfonts. So there is not really a
problem here.

> > BTW, can you help me in (finally) better understanding the True
Type > > files?
> I will try :)
> > There are
> >
> > *.ttf
> True Type FOnt
> > *.fon
> Old Style bitmapped font
> > *.ttr
> > *.for
> NFI on these two

Another one:
*.fot
Used by Windows 3.x to store some information about TT fonts. There should
be one for every *.ttf file.

Remco