Re: Fonts in X [Off Topic]

Stephen Carpenter writes:

> On Wed, 22 Apr 1998, Luiz Otavio L. Zorzella wrote:

>> The point is: they can't demand certain restrictions in the
>> license, even if you signed a contract (which most users even did
>> not). But I'm not a lawyer, and won't speak as if I knew better
>> than I do...

> That is NOT true... they can require anything... signed or otherwise

By receiving this email you agreed to pay $ 500.00 to Luiz
Zorzella. Send the check to the ... :^>

> (ok thats not true, there are a few things the law prevents them
> from requiring...but even that doesn't mean they in truth can't type
> it up and send it out) but... there are limits to what they can
> really hold any power to enforce legally... sorta like a law saying
> you can't ever wear orange shorts... how do you enforce it inside a
> persons own home?

It's not just a matter of enforcement. It's a matter of what you can
legally require, by law.

*If* you sign something, the extents of what one can require are far
greater. If you did not (as most users, when they buy windows), you
are not consenting on anything but giving money to receive a computer
with a Windowing system... If you choose to use parts of what's inside
(as one ever does, cuz nobody has devices for all the drivers, for
example), you may do it perfectly legally...

--
Luiz Otavio L. Zorzella                 Product Engineer
zorzella@conexware.com          http://www.conexware.com