Re: Building a network at home

On 21 Apr, Adalberto da Silva wrote:
> Hello!
>
> 	I wish my question is only a little bit ou of scope...
>
> 	My computer is a dual boot MMX230 with 120 MBytes RAM and three IDE
> hard disks (2 Megs for Win95 and 11 Megs for Linux - this is an
> indication for my choices. But I do use Netscape under W95...).
>
> 	My girlfriend is using an old 486DX with W95 and I have an 'spare' P133
> (almost complete, it lacks only a video monitor).
>
> 	I'm thinking about put all those guys to talk but I don't know where I
> may start. Well, I put an eye on Lars' "System Administrator.." and
> Olaf's "Network Administrators..." but I think my problems are at an
> ealier stage.
>
> 	Is this possible to put my P133 to make some work for me without a
> monitor? Is there any major difficulties to put a W95 'slave' machine on
> a Linux powered network?
>
> 	Is there a good book or manual I can start reading before begin the
> surgery inside my machines? Is there any suggestion about good and not
> so expensive network cards?

Yes, you can use the P133 without a monitor - though you may want to
"borrow" the monitor from one of the other machines to get it set up
the first time.  After it is running, you can do most things through
telnet.  You shouldn't have any trouble using a Win95 'slave' machine;
I would probably use a private TCP/IP network (I am using the
192.168.1.x addresses for my home network) and Samba for Windows file
sharing.  You can also use telnet with your Win95 setups to the
headless P133.  If you turn on IP Masquerading in the Linux kernel on
the P133, you can have that machine be your connection to the Internet
for the other two, and have a single connection work for all of them.

Best of all, you can do all this with the very inexpensive NE2000 clone
network cards.  I'm using an inexpensive NE2000 clone card, an IBM Home
& Away (in my laptop) and an old SMC something-or-other that I got for
free in a box of old junk, hooked together with a cheap hub that I got
from ONSALE.com.

I would suggest looking through the HOWTOs.  There is a wealth of
information in there (Without actually knowing the contents right now,
Firewall-HOWTO, Intranet-Server-HOWTO, SMB-HOWTO, mini/IP-Alias and
mini/IP-Masquerade all look like they might have some information that
would help you.
--
Stephen Ryan                   Debian GNU/Linux
Mathematics graduate student, Dartmouth College