debian 1.3.1 troubles

HI,

I have been trying to get Debian to run on my computer.  I have be able to
get Slakware 3.4 to run, but I would prefer Debian.

I have a modem that is com2 in DOS, a PS/2 mouse connected to the PS/2
connector on my motherboard, ( Slakware recognized the mouse as /dev/mouse
(type PS/2) ) but I never tried the modem there.

Debian will not work with my mouse or modem. I installed several times and
the last time I left on the system, and wrote down what I did/ was asked to
do ect.
here is what I did on my final install:

- means the computer typed this
= means I typed this
# means comments or simple stuff

I had a trashed install of Debian, used a rescue disk resc1440.bin on A: to
install
 new system, did the following:

selected color monitor
-install asks config keyboard
=us qwerty
-init and activate linux swap (linux swap and native partitions exist)
= init /dev/hda9 as swap
- scan it
=no ( already did that today several hours ago prev install:} )
- you sure you want to init loose data
=yes
-init linux partition
= /dev/hda6 as native
-scan?
=no (for reason above)
-sure?
=yes
-mount /dev/hda6 as root?
= yes
-install OS kernel and modules
-yes
-install medium?
=cdrom ( / dev/hdc)
-select base archives
=default stable
-config device drivers
=yes
-select category
= misc
=lp
=install
=OK
- lp1 at 0x0378, (polling)
-Installation succeeded
=psaux
=install
=ok
-PS/2 auxiliary pointing device detected -- driver installed.
-Installation succeeded
=serial
=install
=ok
-serial driver version 4.13 with no serial options enabled
-tty00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
-tty01 at 0x02f8 9irq = 3) is a 16550A
-Installation succeeded
=exit ( done w/ these modules)
=exit (done  w/ modules)
-config network
-host name?
=Zeek
- connected to network?
=NO
- install base system
=OK
( goes through the where install form I pick the CD {/dev/hdc})..
-select base
=default stable
(it installs it)
-config base
=ok
(asks for tome zone { I pick America/New_York, with N for GMT})
-boot from HDD?
=yes ( accidentally, then canceled my way back to the menu where it asked
to make a boot floppy, made a boot floppy instead)
 - reboot system?
=yes
(booted w/o the floppy to make sure I didnt kill my DOS system.. then
booted with boot floppy)
(while booting I noticed that it said something about the PS/2 mouse, it
said device detected, driver installed)
#chagned root password , created a user ryder made a pass word for ryder#
- Shall I install shadow passwords?
=N
- hit enter to run dselect
=<enter>
#selected the cd for the access for distribution top selected "/" (seemed
to work
) for non free I used /contrib ( again seemed to work) for local used /
(seemed to work) for local packages file used / (seemed to work) selected
update (seemed to do it except for /var/lib/dpkg/methods/mnt/ 'invalid
argument BUT /var/lib/dpkg/methods/mnt//stab
le/binary.. and several other paths involving /var/lib/dpkg/methods/mnt as
part
of their path worked)
selected Select in the menu,
went with the standard packages Dselect suggested and added:
1)lrzsz (x/y/z modem)
2)DDD ( visual debugger) * it requested lesstif & xpm4.7 which I added
3) mc (midnight commander) * it requested libgpm1 I added it
4)xserver-svga
5)xserver-vga1 (includes xserver setup program) * reqs: xbase , xfntbase ,
xfnt75
 , I added them
6)minicom
7) xringd
(I then chose to install, which it started doing, after a while it came up
with some questions which follow:)
-config file ' /etc/syslog.conf'exists replace w package version
=no
- put the META key in minicom config file
=no
- installing xring
-error modem device not found
-configuring gpm
-actual config is: -m /dev/ttys0 -t bare
(as I understand this is like com 1, and is a micorsoft 2 button mouse,
which ins
not mine so I changed it)
-do you want to change anything (Y,n)
=y
-where is mouse?
=/dev/mouse
-what type
=ps2
=responsiveness (normally not needed)
=<just hit enter>
-additional arguments?
=<just hit enter>
test (y/N)
=N
-Actual config: -m /dev/mouse -t ps2
-do you want to change (Y/n)
=N
-error starting gmp error /dev/mouse : no such file or directory
-config inews[Y/n]
=n
-make English default [y/N]
=y
-Current default x server /bin/false found.
- do you want to make SVGA the default instead? (y/n) [n]
=Yes
-Do you want to create XFree86 config?
=n ( last time I did this I got in there mouse never responded and I got
stuck had to boot, started over)
- do you want to make VGA16 default server
=n
(asked me again about Xfree, told it no don't config it now)

# some grep error about no configfile for xwindows#
#asks me to set up send mail set it up w local mail only, set root mail to
go to
 user ryder ,sent a test message#
#set up American as default dictionary#
-config file '/ect/X11/Xserver' exists replace from package default is no
=n
-confg '/ect/init.d/xdm ......
=n
-config Xfree86?
=n
-Xfree config will not be created , to create it later run
/usr/sbin/xbase-configure
re as root
-start xdm at boot time
=n ( would like to later, once my mouse runs though)
-errors were encountered while processing:
-xringd
-installation script returned error exit status 1.
-Press RETURN to continue.
=<enter>
# selected configure un-configured stuff, it tried to config xringd..
-setting up xringd
-xringd: error opening modem device
-No such file or directory
# it went on to say the deal about config returning error status 1 and asks
for
me to press return..
# I then left DSELECT#

On the previous installs I tried to use makedev to make /dev/mouse, since
gpg complained about no file or directory but I obviously didn't know what
I was doing since it told me some think along the lines of "you cant do
that".  But I noticed in this install that during the install of the
drivers, that the PS/2 driver found the device ( Its in the way to long
transcription of my install above) does any one have any suggestions for me
/ help??   Oh.., Slakware also recognized my modem, it said it was "___
(some tty) = com2 in DOS" (I can't remember the device it said but I thing
it might have been  /dev/ttys1)

Thank you for any help

PS sorry it was so long, I wanted to be through, not to sure what was
important and not still new at Linux,

Thanks
		Ken