Rookie trying to install 1.3

Hi my name is Kevin I am in Kelowna B.C. Canada. Hobbies are Ham Radio
and my Computer, I came across a disc with Linux debian 1.3 on it and I
was intregued, I decided to get myself in hot water and try to run this
O/S. I printed out a ream of stuff, copied many 3.5 floppies from the CD
with the original located fips, defragged the hard drive and made myself
a 500 meg partition. Si I now have an IBM 365xd Thinkpad laptop with a c
drive running normal boring MS O/S and a d drive with nuthin! oh yeah my
CD went to e drive and 3.5 stayed at drive a. (whew)
 Ok with my resque disc I boot up everthing looks normal it starts with
the same number of dots across the screen as the root file then my
floppy drive just stops and I get a flashing underscore type cursor on
the next screen line and thats it , thats all, I was wonderind if my
resque floppy is too small to hold all the 1440 file , this is the
second copy I made,Or can someone give me the parameters command that
follows the boot prompt please? I saw a reference to this in the F4 help
keys but guess I'm not bright enough to figure it out! any helpful
replies would be much appreciated.
                                                   Regards and
Thanx       Kevin.