kernels

Can anyone suggest an easy way to ensure that I never download a debian
kernel package where I already have a custom kernel installed? dpkg/apt/dselect
continually replace my kernel-package-2.0.33 with the standard one,
which doesn't suite my hardware at all of course (and causes random reboots
during startup in fact, as some kernels do --- bzImage problem I think).

I guess I can always build mine with --revision 9 or something.
Is there an easier way? Is there an easy way to get dpkg or apt
to set packages to hold from the command line?

thanks,
Hamish