Re: KDE Beta-3

>Hi all,
>
>I am trying to install KDE beta-3, I have downloaded the .deb files and I am
>trying to install them but it is saying that I need libgif2 or greater, Does
>anyone know where I can get this from as I can't find it anywhere?  And is it
>avaliable in .deb format?

Providing you have installed KDEsupport, which provides libgif2, you
don't need libgif 2. As it says in the KDE FAQ, just type
dpkg -i --force-depends <name-of-file>.deb
and it will ignore all dependencies for that package.

>Also if you install a .tgz format program (i.e. source compile and install) how
>do you tell dpkg that the required files are installed, as doesn't it look at
>its package database to se if the .deb package it needs is installed?
>
>Regards
>
>Graham

Again, just use force-depends to overide dependencies, and hopefully it
should work. Incidentally, I think I remember you when I was trying to
get KDE beta 3 to work myself - if it was you, then thanks, as I
eventually got it up and running!

Graham Pople (graham@jalna.demon.co.uk)
SNES emulators at Emulation One (http://www.jalna.demon.co.uk/index.htm)
All emulators at E1 Newsletter (http://www.jalna.demon.co.uk/e1news.htm)