Re: kernels

On Wed, 15 Apr 1998, Hamish Moffatt wrote:

> Can anyone suggest an easy way to ensure that I never download a debian
> kernel package where I already have a custom kernel installed? dpkg/apt/dselect
> continually replace my kernel-package-2.0.33 with the standard one,
> which doesn't suite my hardware at all of course (and causes random reboots
> during startup in fact, as some kernels do --- bzImage problem I think).
>
> I guess I can always build mine with --revision 9 or something.
> Is there an easier way? Is there an easy way to get dpkg or apt
> to set packages to hold from the command line?

I always build kernel.debs with these switches to kernel-package:

  make-kpkg --revision 3:custom.1.0 kernel_image

The "--revision custom.x.y" should do it already, because "custom" is
evaluated as a higher number than anything the kernel-image maintainer
puts in the default package.

Notice that I added an epoch (3:) to satisfy all lingering paranoia. Thi
should not be necessary under normal circumstances, but there have been
moments when the kernel-images in the distribution had an epoch (1:) too,
thus replacing any home-crafted kernel-images with a custom version
number. I assume that the kernel-image will never need an epoch of level
three (knock knock.)

Cheers,

Joost