KDE Beta-3

Hi all,

I am trying to install KDE beta-3, I have downloaded the .deb files and I am
trying to install them but it is saying that I need libgif2 or greater, Does
anyone know where I can get this from as I can't find it anywhere?  And is it
avaliable in .deb format?

Also if you install a .tgz format program (i.e. source compile and install) how
do you tell dpkg that the required files are installed, as doesn't it look at
its package database to se if the .deb package it needs is installed?

Regards

Graham