Re: how to cope with bad blocks (and off-topic: WD warranty policy)

On Sun, Apr 12, 1998 at 02:55:29PM -0700, George Bonser wrote:
> > On Sun, Apr 12, 1998 at 04:09:50PM +0200, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> > > I have now some bad blocks on my 2-year-old WD Caviar IDE drive. I'm not
> > > overly concerned, because I have a brand new SeaGate, on where I install
> > > hamm atm, but I wonder if linux can mark bad blacks as 'used', so that it
> > > doesn't write on them anymore. Or how do you cope with bad blocks?
> > > (I also get irq timeouts and drive resets, and then the system hangs. Why?)
>
> Just a little note:
> I installed one of these new DMA33/EIDE drives in a system that had been
> running for over 6 months. At the same time, I moved from 2.0.29 kernel to
> 2.0.33.  The machine has not been up for more than two weeks since. I
> started getting disk errors and IDE resets as soon as I installed that new
> drive. Is that new Seagate that you mention one of the new large DMA33
> capable drives and did the problems with the WD start around the time you
> installed the Seagate? Also which kernel are you running?

Interesting. The disk in our system is an ancient Quantum 1Gb, and actually
I suspected the power supply might have been faulty before deploying
the machine (but it took 15 months for anything to happen); occasionally
I got disk resets even loading LILO. I suspect dry joints in the power supply
(Quantums seem to be very power-sensitive, a friend of mine has had the
same power supply problem with the same disk) but I haven't opened it to
look yet.

Hamish