Re: how to cope with bad blocks (and off-topic: WD warranty policy)

On Sun, Apr 12, 1998 at 02:55:29PM -0700, George Bonser wrote:

> > On Sun, Apr 12, 1998 at 04:09:50PM +0200, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> > > I have now some bad blocks on my 2-year-old WD Caviar IDE drive. I'm not
> > > overly concerned, because I have a brand new SeaGate, on where I install
> > > hamm atm, but I wonder if linux can mark bad blacks as 'used', so that it
> > > doesn't write on them anymore. Or how do you cope with bad blocks?
> > > (I also get irq timeouts and drive resets, and then the system hangs. Why?)
>

> Just a little note:
>
> I installed one of these new DMA33/EIDE drives in a system that had been
> running for over 6 months. At the same time, I moved from 2.0.29 kernel to
> 2.0.33.  The machine has not been up for more than two weeks since. I
> started getting disk errors and IDE resets as soon as I installed that new
> drive. Is that new Seagate that you mention one of the new large DMA33
> capable drives and did the problems with the WD start around the time you
> installed the Seagate? Also which kernel are you running?

Wow, what shall I say?

I installed the SeaGate Medalist 2122 (ST32122A) 2,1 GB just a couple of
days ago, and am running the 2.0.33-5 kernel. I didn't have any trouble
before installing the new drive. I got first bad blocks trouble yesterday.
But I don't know if the SeaGate drive is one of the new drives you mention.
This is what dmesg tells me:

ide: i82371 PIIX (Triton) on PCI bus 0 function 57
    ide0: BM-DMA at 0xe800-0xe807
    ide1: BM-DMA at 0xe808-0xe80f
hda: WDC AC21000H, 1033MB w/128kB Cache, CHS=525/64/63, DMA
hdc: ST32122A, 2014MB w/128kB Cache, CHS=4092/16/63
hdd: TOSHIBA CD-ROM XM-5302TA, ATAPI CDROM drive
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15

Do you think this is a kernel bug? Gosh. I'm out of knowledge and experience
here (and have to get some sleep). (BTW: atm all is okay, but I don't work
with hda much. I installed Debian 2.0 fresh on hdc and am now moving).

Good night good fellows,
Marcus