Re: how to cope with bad blocks (and off-topic: WD warranty policy)

On Sun, Apr 12, 1998 at 04:09:50PM +0200, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> I have now some bad blocks on my 2-year-old WD Caviar IDE drive. I'm not
> overly concerned, because I have a brand new SeaGate, on where I install
> hamm atm, but I wonder if linux can mark bad blacks as 'used', so that it
> doesn't write on them anymore. Or how do you cope with bad blocks?
> (I also get irq timeouts and drive resets, and then the system hangs. Why?)

"e2fsck -c /dev/device" will do it. I believe the IRQ timeouts and
drive resets are a symptom of bad blocks, they were when I got some here.

Actually, most of the IRQ timeouts and drive resets were caused by
a faulty power supply in that machine. I replaced it, and found
one bad blocks with e2fsck, and the machine has been perfect ever since.
(Up 62 days, exactly 62 days since I replaced that power supply.)

> The drive has a three year warranty. Will WD fix the drive or sent me a new
> one because of bad blocks? Has anyone has experience with WD warranty?
> Should I try to make heavy use of the drive to detect more (soon to be) bad
> blocks, as long as I have warranty?

It's worth calling them.

hamish