Re: Software watchdog & full process table

On Fri, Apr 10, 1998 at 12:02:28PM +1000, Chris wrote:

> Hi,
>
> One of our network servers went down for reboot in the middle of last
> night, which was done by the software watchdog.
>
> The log message was as follows:
>
> daemon.log:Apr 10 03:15:44 seldon watchdog[102]: process table is full!
> daemon.log:Apr 10 03:15:44 seldon watchdog[102]: shutting down the system
>

> Does anyone know what does this mean, and what would cause this to happen?
> Is there anyway to determine what was happening on the machine?
>

> Thanks for any assistance,

The kernel has a limit for the maximum number of processes, I suspect that
it was reached..  As far as the software watchdog goes, all that its managed
to do on my system was annoy me, and shutdown my computer for many odd
reasons (ie load average too high, etc..).  I realize that this can be
changed using a command line option,  however it never did anything
during a genuine crash, so I just stopped using it.. :)