Re: SyQuest internal IDE 1GB disk?

Hey Rick,
I'm a partner in a company that installs networks for small businesses, and have had some
experiences w/ the syquest.  As far as the internal ( both SCSI & ide ) ones go, I would stay
away from them.  They are pretty flimsy, and we have had to return several of them.
Instead of a nice solid case around the drives, it seems as if they are covered in thin aluminum
foil.  They are also annoying in that sometimes the cartridge will unseat itself, and even though it
looks as if the drive is in, it isn't.  Although I've not used the parallel port one under Linux, I will say
that they are built much tougher.  I would sacrifice the speed and go w/ the parallel port one.
But even w/ the problems, I think they are much better for the money than the Jaz stuff

For my own uses, I have found that the cheapest, fastest, & most reliable way to backup is w/
a nice extra internal HD. Just rig it up so that one of your IDE cables and a power cord are
hanging out the back of your computer, and then plug in the drive, back up, & put the drive into
a static bag.  For the price of a syquest w/ several cartrages, you can have two full sized drives,
and quickly back up your whole system.  And by using dd ( or ghost -- www.ghostsoft.com --
if you use that other OS ) you can just image your HD so as to assure very quick restorations.

        					Bill Van Devender