Re: smail

Ionut Borcoman <borco@mailbox.ro> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Daniel Martin at cush wrote:
>
> > (If you want an example exim.conf for a dialup system, I can send you
> > mine)
>
> Can you send me the configuration files, please. And some info to
> set up my e-mail system.

Enough people (2) asked for this that I've put it on a web page:
http://www.math.jhu.edu/~martind/debian/myexim.html
Be aware that these scripts relate to my setup and will NOT work
unless they're modified.  Mostly, any references to "cush" or to
"jhu.edu" need to be changed.

> I have an POP3 account and I aleready configured the ppp. The
> computer has only an dial-up connection through the modem. I would
> like to be able to:
> 1. write e-mail messages offline (the messages should go to a
> queue).

My exim configuration does this.

> 2. use a script to connect, get my mail from the remote POP3 server,
> send all the messages from the queue and disconect. I have
> understood from a friend of mine that there should be a problem with
> the timming between the time of realising the connection (pon gives
> back the controll prety quick and you have to go th plog -f to see
> if you've realy got the connection). So the script should also check
> that the conection is up. Also it should check that al the messages
> heve been uploaded from the queue to the remote server.

Assuming that you're using bo (aka Debian 1.3.1) you should do
something like this:
cp /usr/bin/pon /usr/local/bin/ponmail

Edit /usr/local/bin/ponmail and after the `cat /etc/ppp.options_out`
add "ipparam mailonly".

Then, put the following 6 lines into /usr/local/bin/poffmail:
#!/bin/sh
export PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin
while netstat --inet -n | grep ESTABLISHED > /dev/null; do
  sleep 5
done
poff

Then do:
chmod a+rx /usr/local/bin/poffmail

If you don't have the commands 'runq' and some sort of fetchmail
command in your /etc/ppp/ip-up then add the following two lines to
/etc/ppp/ip-up:
runq -qf
HOME=~myuser su -c 'fetchmail -d 900' myuser

(where 'myuser' should be your regular (i.e. non-root) username)

You should probably put a 'killall fetchmail' into your
/etc/ppp/ip-down script.

Now, at the bottom of your /etc/ppp/ip-up (AFTER any runq or fetchmail
commands) put the following 4 lines:
if [ "$6" = "mailonly" ]; then
  sleep 5
  /usr/local/bin/poffmail &
fi

What this does: if you start ppp with 'ponmail' istead of 'pon', then
your machine will shut down the ppp connection as soon as there are no
open connections.  Adding the fetchmail and runq lines to
/etc/ppp/ip-up causes your machine to deliver any pending mail and get
any waiting mail each time ppp is turned on (with pon or with ponmail).

> Is there a way to set fetchmail to leave the messages on the remote
> server ?
Yes; read the fetchmail man page.  The keyword you want is "keep".