Re: Installation..How to add packages!!

sohel wrote:
  >Hi,
  >
  >I am new to this list. I just installed a base debian linux on my
  >machine. Now i would like to add different softwares/packages. What
  >would be procedure to go about it??

Become root; then use dselect.  Take time to read the help screens -
the interface is not intuitive.

  >                                     Also how can i mount my cdrom so
  >that i can copy these packages? The mount command only shows /dev/hdb1
  >and proc. Debian is installed on a primary slave disk(/dev/hdb1). Do i
  >nned to load some type of drivers for the cdrom? It is detected as Atapi
  >cdrom at boot time(hdc..its on secondary controller as the secondary
  >master). I would appreciate any help on this.

You can mount your CD thus: `mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdc /cdrom'

(/cdrom must already exist; if it doesn't: `mkdir /cdrom')

The CD's contents are visible under /cdrom.

You do not need to mount the CD to use it with dselect; choose the CD
installation method and dselect will mount it for itself.