Installation..How to add packages!!

Hi,

I am new to this list. I just installed a base debian linux on my
machine. Now i would like to add different softwares/packages. What
would be procedure to go about it?? Also how can i mount my cdrom so
that i can copy these packages? The mount command only shows /dev/hdb1
and proc. Debian is installed on a primary slave disk(/dev/hdb1). Do i
nned to load some type of drivers for the cdrom? It is detected as Atapi
cdrom at boot time(hdc..its on secondary controller as the secondary
master). I would appreciate any help on this.

Thank you.

Regards,

sohel