Re: LibICE and general X install

"Tristan Day" wrote:
  >When trying to install lib6 and many x-related packages to get x running, I
  >keep being unable to install them, as dpkg tells me that I haven't got
  >libICE something-or-other. I looked thru www.debian.org/packages and can't
  >find it.

libICE.so is in xlib6 (for libc5) or xlib6g (for libc6); you might also
need xlib6g-dev or xlib6-altdev.  If you're running all bo (Debian 1.3.1),
you probably need xlib6 and xlib6-dev.

  >Also one of the packages says it needs ccp whatever that is.

I've never heard of that.  Do you happen to mean cpp (which is in gcc)?

  >Also, when I'm trying to install xserver (the S3 version) I'm told it can't
  >find a mouse at /dev/mouse because it doesn't exist. I know it doesn't but
  >don't know how to get it...

/dev/mouse does not exist unless you create it.  If present, it is a symbolic
link to the device where your mouse really is: /dev/ttyS0, /dev/psaux or
whatever.

To create it: ln -s /dev/<wherever_it_is> /dev/mouse

  >Plus, whenever trying to run xdm the screen completely packs in and I have
  >to reboot.
  >
  >I'm told I should run XF86Setup but it says it's not there despite
  >instructions in x's doc files.

XF86Setup is in xserver-vga16

  >Basically x won't install at all.

Have you installed all necessary packages?

You need at least: xbase xserver-vga16 xserver-<your_video_card_type> xlib6
                   xfntbase