LibICE and general X install

When trying to install lib6 and many x-related packages to get x running, I
keep being unable to install them, as dpkg tells me that I haven't got
libICE something-or-other. I looked thru www.debian.org/packages and can't
find it.

Also one of the packages says it needs ccp whatever that is.

Also, when I'm trying to install xserver (the S3 version) I'm told it can't
find a mouse at /dev/mouse because it doesn't exist. I know it doesn't but
don't know how to get it...

Plus, whenever trying to run xdm the screen completely packs in and I have
to reboot.

I'm told I should run XF86Setup but it says it's not there despite
instructions in x's doc files.

Basically x won't install at all.