Re: Where is telnet and ftp ?

Gabrie van Zanten <gabrievz@cuci.nl> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Can I telnet and ftp to my own computer? I tried pinging 192.168.1.1 (which
> is this computer) but a ftp will not log me in, and a telnet either ?
>
> Do I have to start a special demon ? And how should I do that ?

No, you just need to allow access.  By default, debian is set up to
deny access to machines it can't get a name for.  (You can see what
happened if you look at /var/log/daemon.log) You have at least
two options, then:

Add a line to /etc/hosts for every host that you will want to access
your machine from, something like this:
192.68.0.1      cushl.localnet cushl
192.68.0.2      wsw.localnet wsw

Or, you can change this default policy by commenting out the "ALL:
PARANOID" line in /etc/hosts.deny.  Then, any host will be able to
connect to your machine.