Patience, this will get longer

Since January I am trying to learn a bit about Linux,
and beeing lucky to find answers to most questions either
in the online documentation or else searching the www.
There are still two thing that bother me, 1st: though I´ve
read all install files, manpages and docs of fvwm2 several times
I just cant see where xdm starts the initial xterm, where i dont like
its geometry (its just partly hidden by my button bar).
2nd: where to look for instuction about the file background.list
you have to place in your homedir to get a random selected
rootbackground, about the associated command randline I´ve found
nothing too. (I´m just bored to reset the link "background.jpeg"
manually whe I want to see a new picture in the rootwindow.)

So far my severe requests for help.

But I´m sorry, there are still three minor questions. Till now
I´m running windows still because of two reasons. 1st: I´ve not jet set
up a mailsystem and i dont think it a good idea just using Netscape
as I´m doing it here (any recommendations). 2nd: I´ve just stored
a backup of all the changes (customization) as well as from all the LDP
and other documents in my windows partition and will have to keep
it therefore untill I´ve decided what backup-hardware to use instead.
I really dont like to reinstall 30 Megs from floppies (recommendations
wellcome).

That now leaves the last point.
I´ve written a few tiny programms that manage to summarize access to
all text documents in the directory /usr/doc in a single menu-structure.
Till now its just the programms and a short shell script to run them
in propper sequence. No documentation so far. But if other guys were
interested in that I would appreceate any help how to forward it.

thanks in advance.

Helmut.