Re: Debian Beowulf

> Camm Maguire <camm@enhanced.com> wrote:
> > I would greatly appreciate any advice from the readers of this list on
> > what hardware would be best for this project.
>
> This is the first time I've seen somebody mention putting together
> a debian beowulf system.  I suspect you'd do better asking the
> beowulf people...
>
> [I don't even know if gigabit ethernet drivers are stable yet.]
>
> That said, I've been itching for an excuse to work on this kind
> of system.

I can't say as I would have any recommendations on hardware, or for that matter
if the gigabit drivers are stable (although I have heard they are working from
somebody around the University here), but we are running a Debian "Beowolf-like"
system with 11 233 Mhz Pentium IIs.  I say Beowolf like since we didn't use
any Beowolf code but we have MPI, PVM, NAG F90, etc, etc running on the cluster.

One of our mission goals is to provide benchmarks of this system, but they
are still ongoing.  I would be interested in talking with folks who have
tried or are thinking of trying this in the future.

Ken Summers
Albuquerque High Performance Computing Center
The University of New Mexico
summers@arc.unm.edu