Re: Using sendmail for outgoing mail to ISP

Pierre Sarrazin <ps@CAM.ORG> writes:

> How can I configure sendmail under Debian 1.3 so that it can
> send my outgoing mail to my ISP on demand (when I have
> established a PPP link with my modem)?
>
> I wanted to configure /etc/smail/routers myself but I did
> not find the information I was looking for in the
> smailconf(5) manpage nor in the HOWTOs. Can someone tell me
> how to do this or where in my Debian system I could find the
> appropriate documentation?

Run /usr/sbin/smailconfig and configure your system to:

- be an Internet site
- let the mail server of your provider be your smart host
- send all outbound mail to your isp's mail host

It worked for me out of the box, in offline state the mails are
defered because smail couldn't dnslookup the mail server (use "mailq
-v" for this kind of information) and runq in my /etc/ppp/ip-up script
forces smail to send the queued mail.

        Torsten