Re: Boot hang and debian hamm

Nils Rennebarth wrote:

> > > try to remove compact and add the option linear.
> > I just tried this, but it still hung on "LI".
> Is this disk larger than 504 MB?
>
> That means you need either LBA or LARGE in the BIOS settings. If this is
> not possible your BIOS can't see the whole disk and you either need a BIOS
> upgrade or repartition and make a partition fully below the 504 MB limit.
> All of LILO should live there, i.e. make this your root partition.

The disk is approx 250Meg, part of an old 486DX-33 system.  This debianinstall
actually replaces an older Redhat installation.  During the install,
I reformatted the partitions (approx 16 meg for swap, the remaining for
root) and installed in the usual way.  During the reboot process, everything
went fine until the configuring of the serial ports (probably while executing
code in the /etc/rc.boot/0setserial).  The remaining portion of the boot
obviously failed and though a login prompt appeared, a tty could not be found
for actually logging in.  I didn't know what the problem could be, so I rebuilt
the kernel, installed it and ran lilo.  (Note that the boot floppy created during
the original install process continues to work fine.)  It was then that the
problem
of the booting process halting at "LI" began.  This problem now persists, even
after switching back to the original kernel.  It is for this reason that I
suggested
the possiblity of corrupted files, such as boot.b.

So, though I could work around the problem using a boot floppy, I know that
it should be bootable from the hard disk without extraordinary reconfiguring
of lilo.  Ultimately, that may mean reformating and reinstalling:(

For fun, here are the partitions:

-------------- bootable hard disk -------------------
Disk /dev/hda: 16 heads, 31 sectors, 967 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 496 * 512 bytes

   Device Boot   Begin    Start      End   Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hda1   *        1        1      900   223184+  83  Linux native
/dev/hda2          901      901      967    16616   82  Linux swap

---------------- second hard disk (data only)----------
Disk /dev/hdb: 8 heads, 39 sectors, 762 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 312 * 512 bytes

   Device Boot   Begin    Start      End   Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hdb1   *        1        1      761   118696+  83  Linux native

> What are the BIOS settings for this hd? You need to partition it with the
> same settings as those you use it thereafter. If repartioning is an option
> try this.

I'll have to check this tomorrow.