Re: Non-Free Software

hospedales@wow.net wrote:

> I am curious as to what the problem is with the current system of distribution
> whereby Debian is distributed 'pure' on CD. And those users who have no problem
> with non-free liscences are free to download non-free debian packages from the
> Debian FTP site and mirrors thereof?

> Thanks,
> Timothy.

After following this thread both here and on debian-devel (where it seemed to
become a
much bigger deal) I think I can see the main problem with it...it is
a problem that I troo have run into.
Personally I like this method and I think it works fine...for the most part the
free software
works great and fullfills my needs.
The problem that I see is this...
While debian encourages CDROM venors to look at non-free and add what would
be legal for them to add... they don't do it.
This obviously isn't Debian's fault...it is the CDROM makers..
I have run into the problemmyself... I installed debian and looked for programs
like
xv  and others...yet found them to not be on the CD.
I never thought to look in the ftp sites non-free.
having installed packages on CD is a great asset...it is alot faster (for most of
us)
than ftp and after a crash cna be restored without much fuss
(of course thats a non-issue since we all have great backup schemes and keep
all sorts of backups of everything right? )
personally....
I don't see why some people feel the need to make such a big point about free
software..
I releaced a piece of shareware in the past (and found that wasn't worth the
effort)
but everything I write from now on shall be free (GPLd to be more precise)
I would like to see non-free debian packages on CDs...
it would make my life and the lives of many people easier...
and I would like to see some effort to make it easier
for CDROM vendors to include non-free debs....
but its hardly an issue worthy of all the bickering about it
-Steve

--
-=Signature has been removed because it made an unfair comparison between NT 4 and
Linux =-