Re: problem with 3Com 3509B: can send but can;t receive

On Tue, 31 Mar 1998, Nico De Ranter wrote:

> I'm trying to install Debian on a Compaq Deskpro XL 566.
> Since I couldn't get the onboard Ethernet board to work (I found
> the HOW-TO but didn't succeed) I decided to plugin a 3Com 3C509B
> 10Base-T board which I have lying around.  I reinstalled Debian
> (since I had some other trouble also) and included the 3C509B.
> It gets loaded and configured at login just fine.  My IP-address
> is ok, the board is up.  When I ping another machine on the same
> network I see arp-packets arriving at the other machine (tcpdump)
> and my second also sends answers back.  However nothing arrives
> on my Deskpro.  Also when I do tcpdump on my Deskpro nothing is
> going over the network so apparently I can send packets but cannot
> receive antyhing.
>
> Any ideas on how to solve this?

You can transmit, but you can't receive: that sounds like an interrupt not
working/getting detected by the kernel. Maybe something on the board is
eating the interrupt, or it is somehow disabled by the bios.

Did everything work with the 3Com drivers floppy?

I don't know how to fix it, but this may get you a little further.

Cheers,

Joost